[BKARTS] Los Angeles book arts resources

In a message dated 7/27/02 9:03:18 PM, LISTSERV@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU writes:

<< Re: los angeles resources >

Dear Christine,
For Los Angeles book arts resources:
There will be a 12-week class in Handmade Book Structures at UCLA Extension
in the Fall, starting late September, taught by Kitty Maryatt. At Scripps
College, there is the Frederic W. Goudy Lecture and Workshop, sponsored by
the Scripps College Press. On October 5, book arts historian Betty Bright
will be lecturing at 7 p.m. at Scripps, and she will give a workshop on Oct.
5 and 6 on narrative for artists books. There is a local Guild of Book
Workers chapter that offers workshops and get-togethers. And we have a
wonderful Society for Calligraphy that was started in 1974 which also
sponsors workshops, lectures and get-togethers. There is the Armory in
Pasadena with public access to letterpress equipment and workshops as well.
Hiromi Paper in Santa Monica carries fabulous Japanese papers and bookcloth
and some bookbinding supplies. There are great collections of books in the
area at the Getty Museum, UCLA Special Collections, the William Andrews Clark
Library, Scripps College, the Huntington Library.  And Gerald Lange already
mentioned new classes at Art Center at Night. I may have some workshops at my
own Two Hands Press. We hope to see you at some of our events. Please contact
me if you need more details.
Warmly,
Kitty Maryatt
Director of the Scripps College Press