[BKARTS] Concertina workshops in Door County

Hi Everyone - I'm trying to hustle up a little more enrollment for my book
workshops at Peninsula Art School in Door County, Wisconsin. If you have
recently purchased my book, "Unbinding the Book: The Boundless Concertina,"
and were wishing you could get more from the horse's mouth, so to speak,
now's your chance! I am offering two workshops at Peninsula this year; the
descriptions follow.

3D111
The Boundless Concertina
August 19-23
10am-4pm

How many ways can you fold a piece of paper? Beginning with the manipulation
of a single page, this workshop explores the endlessly variable concertina.
Concertinas, or accordions, are extremely versatile, time-honored structures.
A deceptively simple structure, we will stretch it to accommodate fold-outs,
insertions, meanders, envelopes, portfolios, sewn and unsewn spines,
detachable and permanent covers, alone and in countless combinations. After
we have acquired some basic skills, we will move on to more complex and
imaginative concertinas, sculptural books and three dimensional books hiding
secrets in their very construction. Expect a mind-altering experience from
his week-long intensive, where each participant will take away 12-15
personalized, unique books. Tuition: $360 + $50 supply fee

3D113
Dessert First: Exposed Stitch Bindings
August 26-28
10am-4pm

We will create three exposed stitch bindings, one for each day of class.
These three books encourage your creative experimentation: sewing collage,
cutting tearing weaving and manipulation. First, hard covers enclose
beautiful pper suitable for journal writing or drawing in a simple,
one-needle Coptic binding. Second, a small hard-cover album, personalized
with a painted concertina spine and endsheets. Window openings in each page
stand read to revel your photos, poems, drawings or watercolors. Finally, a
book you can create from one full sheet of painted Arches Cover. This book
seduces from the first page to the last, from its decorative spine to its
multi-layered interior.
Tuition: $220 + $30 materials fee

The Door County peninsula is one of the more beautiful places on earth, in my
opinion, and the Art School is a wonderfully designed and equipped building,
with great access to the outdoors and an active gallery. It is, hands down,
my favorite place to teach at the end of a long summer. To sign up for one of
my classes, contact Peninsula Art School at: Telephone 920-868-3455, email
staff@peninsulaartschool.com. Their web address, if you want to look at all
the current offerings, or get on their mailing list for the future is
www.peninsulaartschool.com

Thanks, Barbara Harman