[BKARTS] Bookbinding Forum, Gloucestershire, England

Please excuse cross posting

*********************************

Bookbinding Forum and Book Restoration Weekend At The Royal Agricultural
College Cirencester, Gloucestershire, UK

Saturday And Sunday, 31st August - 1st September 2002

Last Few Places

A full weekend of demonstrations viewed live and displayed on large screens

Attractive and accessible venue

Residential or day booking

Hewits in attendance to supply all your needs

Bookbinding videos and slide presentations

Visits to the college library to view its collection of rare antiquarian
books

Book surgery/forum - bring along your problem books. A panel of experts will
offer solutions and invite discussion at an informal get together after
dinner on Saturday, chaired by David Lanning, J. Hewit &
Sons.

Lester Capon - well known bookbinder and teacher will demonstrate rebacking
a leather bound book and look at a number of related aspects and solutions.

John Jameson - Cotswold Bookbinders, invites members to bring books needing
rebacking/restoring so that some can be selected to be repaired free of
charge during the weekend to demonstrate a variety of restoration
techniques.

Bookbinding Forum

By Lester Capon & John Jameson

Sharing with many bookbinders concern at the loss of bookbinding courses I
felt I should like to join with other interested people in trying to provide
a way of sharing knowledge of our craft. We obviously cannot replace
properly structured courses, (this problem is being tackled nationally by
our societies) but by co-operation, maybe in some small way we can bridge
that gap. Until the re-emergence of full time bookbinding courses it is
necessary to provide the student or amateur with a selection of
demonstrations and workshops.

As most people's free time is limited, our events must be limited in subject
matter. With the encouragement of J. Hewit & Sons, we have put together this
book restoration weekend, which we hope will be the first in a series of
weekend demonstrations on a variety of aspects of bookbinding at this and
other venues.

The theme of the first such venture is book restoration as we felt that was
the topic which would be of most interest to the majority of amateur
bookbinders. You don't have to be a member of any bookbinding society to
attend. It's available to anyone who is interested.

We sympathise with students today who are finding their options very
limited. I also know that there is a vast army of bookbinders out there who
would welcome the chance to meet their fellows at an informal event and
discuss common problems.

We are aiming to provide a weekend crammed full of demonstrations, videos,
slide presentations with the highlight on the Saturday evening being the
"Forum". This will take the format of a light-hearted 'Question Time' but
instead of David Dimbleby, David Lanning will be in the chair
and there will be more input from the audience! Should be fun but
instructive as well! Bookbinders will be invited to raise questions on any
restoration matter, bring their problem books to be analysed by the panel in
search of solutions etc. Everyone will be able to join in discussions in
relaxed atmospheres in the comfortable surroundings of an oak-panelled room
in the old wing of the Royal Agricultural College.

We have decided on the format being a series of demonstrations so that we
can cover as much ground as possible for as many people as possible. It also
relieves us of the problem of providing equipment for everyone. Clearly a
hands on workshop would not be really practicable.

The idea is that we share as much knowledge as possible at a weekend event,
which does not invade the working week. We want to make the events as
accessible as possible, affordable and held at a time that will not encroach
on your working week.

Lester Capon

Started bookbinding at Camberwell School of Art and Crafts in 1975. He
trained under and worked for James Brockman for 15 years. He ran the full,
and part-time courses at Guildford College from 1993 - 2000. Lester is
currently a self-employed bookbinder, conservator, restorer, and teaches
part time at City Lit. Institute, London.

John Jameson

John has been trading under the name of Cotswold Bookbinders for 12 years
and is mainly involved with restoration and rebinding. He enjoys working
alone but also gains satisfaction from the whole cycle of meeting the
customer, discussing the work entailed, carrying it out then returning the
finished book to its owner. "The thanks you get is like applause to an
actor! " Over the years he has attended courses at Brunel College, Bristol,
Guildford College and the London College of Printing.

He is currently running a series of bookbinding workshops at Cirencester,
Frome, Wimborne and Cwmbran. "I enjoy passing on my skills and showing
others the satisfaction which can be had from bookbinding."

DAY ATTENDANCE : includes morning coffee, lunch, afternoon tea

SATURDAY 10AM - 9PM 45

Optional Buffet/dinner

served before the evening book surgery/forum. 15

SUNDAY 10AM - 7PM 40

FULL WEEKEND RESIDENTIAL BOOKING. 120

Includes all meals, accommodation and complete event programme.

LAST FEW PLACES./ For Further information contact:

Cotswold Bookbinders

Oak Tree House

Ewen, Cirencester

Gloucestershire, GL7 6BT