Re: [BKARTS] identifying binders of fine bindings

In a message dated 8/13/02 2:45:01 PM, bookbinder@RGISP.COM writes:

<< Yesterday, a gentleman wrote a note asking how one identifies the
binder(s) of fine bindings.  >>

**********
Unfortunately, it seems that many Fine Bindings are not signed by the binder.
There may be a variety of reasons why it is not done, but none of those
reasons seem good enough.
In the case of my mentor, Bill Anthony, I think it was humility. I think he
was wrong to not sign his bindings, and a client finally persuaded him to add
his name to the lower turn-in of the inside back cover. Other binders may
imprint their name on a flyleaf, or adhere a small label in a similar place.
At one time, I started an article for the Guild Of Book Workers on this
topic. Unfortunately, it was never finished. I feel that it is important to
identify our work, not only for the binders name, but also to provide some
information (such as the date) that will help us identify some of the
materials and techniques that may have been used. As we examine bindings that
were done years ago, we can learn from the work of our predecessors.
(Note: this reply goes hand-in-hand with a comment that I made about "Michel
Duval marble papers" which is added here: