Re: [BKARTS] Help! Gold leaf on cloth

What sort of fiber is the cloth? Silk, Rayon, Cotton?  My guess is that
maybe you would want to apply an overall sizing to the cloth first, to
give it a bit more wear resistance and 'weave rigidity', before you
attach it to your boards.  Then, apply the leaf with a gelatine size.
If you can find the sort of gelatine for culinary purposes that comes in
thin sheets, it is generally nice and refined and will be virtually
clear at thin concentrations.  Parchment size would work well too.  I
think gelatine might stand up a bit more robustly than Klucel G.  I'd
hesitate to use any sort of fixative or spray varnish- chances are, it
will yellow over time- if it doesn't, I think it would still give a
funny appearance to the cloth (too shiny).

Good luck!

Douglas Sanders
Conservator
Indiana Historical Society