Re: [BKARTS] Help! Gold leaf on cloth

First  -- Are you using a foil intended for the bookcloth you are
using, it is not unusual for a reliable supplier of foils like
Astor  to supply different foils for different bookcloths. The
finish of a book cloth as well as the the fibre content will affect
how a given adhesive system works. Make sure your supplier
understands the type press you are ysing, i.e.: an automatic press
like a Kluge versus a hand press like a Kelsol. Also tell them the
type of plates to be used for the stamping. Use copper if possible,
magnesium or zinc is otherwise good. PP is a poor choice unless
made too thin, (0.165" or thinner,) to make a good impression.

Second  -- Read all the technical meterial your foil supplier will
send you. Make sure that you follow their temperature
recomendations exactly. You may notice that for a particular foil
on a hand press, a temperature of 15-35 degrees hotter is
recomended compared to an automatic press; this being necessary
because the pressure of a hand press, even pneumaticly operated, is
able to apply less pressure than an automatic.

Third. For an all over design print the cloth before applying to
the boards. This will give you better transfer.

MayKitten

--- Christopher Krone <ckrone@TOTALNETNH.NET> wrote:
> Oh!...Great and Wise list....Peter, Jack, Richard....and all
> others....
>       (checked in the archives....gold leaf, cloth etc....
>    ....and originally thought I knew how)
> applying gold leaf to a white japanese book cloth
> over both front and back covers and preferably over joints and
> spine areas
> (application is not a problem)
> either before or after a cloth case is made
> without it rubbing (short term), or wearing off (long term).
> Appearance.....white cloth cover with gold leaf squares
> placed randomly on cloth and title blind stamped on front cover
> I have used Klucel G and spray varnish as size and sealer
> but Klucel G (4 spray coats)
> doesn't appear to protect it from ANY wear
> and does not seem like 10 will....(mistake?)
> and spray varnish dulled the brightness of the gold leaf....
> Anyone know a solution??
>
> Thanks
> Christopher Krone
> Concord, New Hampshire