Re: [BKARTS] Superior book cover material for paperback books?

I use index card stock, laser printed, and laminated with Xyron one-sided
lamination. This costs about 30 cents per cover. It creases and folds well,
and has held up better than any other paper covers I have seen. This
lamination is thicker and adheres better than the lamination used on
production paperbacks. It does require care in trimming the book, since the
lamination extends about an eighth of an inch beyond the top and bottom of the
book.
    An alternative is eight point Champion Krome Kote 2000 C1S (cast one
side), which is used on many production paperbacks. It is cheaper and less
labor-intensive than the solution above.
Rupert

===== Original Message From "Book_Arts-L: READ THE FAQ at
http://www.philobiblon.com"              <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> =====
>I am trying to find a better than normal cover material for producing my own
>line of limited production "paperback" books. The standard paper card stock
>that is used on production paperback books doesn't seem to be able to take a
>lot of abuse such as:
>
>   1. The card stock can easily be delaminated, this happens especially at
>the open edges but sometimes the spine on a perfect bound book splits
>leaving part of the cover on the book block and part dangling free.
>   2. The paper cover tears at the hinge point after repeated flexing
>   3. If the cover is laminated with plastic, the plastic peels off
>   4. If the cover is bent sharply in use, the coating cracks and shows a
>crease line
>   5. The tensile strength of the card stock paper is not very high
>
>I am wondering if there already is a better but fairly economical paperback
>cover material out there that has better properties. Here are some things I
>am wondering about, and thanks in advance for any information:
>
>   6. Does a clear coating such as varnish adhere better than laminated
>film?
>   7. Is there a card stock made with a superior sizing that "glues"
>together the paper much better than the typical?
>   8. Is there a card stock made with a coating or fibers where the coating
>does not crack and shows a crease line when the cover is bent sharply in
>use?
>   9. Is there a card stock made with a coating or fibers which has a much
>higher tensile strength than standard card stock and can stand repeated
>flexing?
>   10. The card stock as above that can still be creased for hinge points of
>the book.
>
>Ben Wiens...applied energy scientist
>Ben Wiens Energy Science Inc.
>8-1200 Brunette Ave. Coquitlam BC Canada V3K1G3
>E-mail: ben@benwiens.com
>Energy Website: http://www.benwiens.com
>Read my popular web-booklet "The Future of Fuel Cells"

Rupert N. Evans
Summer: 101 W Windsor Rd. #4107, Urbana, IL 61802-6697
217-337-7833
Winter: 501-391 S LaPosada Circle, Green Valley, AZ 85614
520-648-8365
Author of Book-On-Demand Publishing
I love to print and bind books