Re: [BKARTS] Xyron laminators?

--- Ben Wiens <ben@BENWIENS.COM> wrote:
> I am very curious about the Xyron laminator that Rupert Evans
> mentioned
> again. I checked back and Rupert had mentioned the Xyron before
> but I
> thought it was just like any other laminator. Now I see that this
> laminator
> applies a layer of cold glue but rolls the paper and plastic
> laminate
> together. It seems to be more versatile than hot laminating and
> can laminate
> a huge variety of things. I would be very interested to know the
> following
> about the Xyron laminator:

My cold laminatoe was made by D&K, (www.dkgroup.com) but my
experiance should be close to those of Xyron Laminators
>    1. Does the one sided lamination result in curling of book
> cover card stock?

This depends on the care exercised by the operator. Experiance
reduces the probability of this problem.

>    2. Does the Xyron cold glue hold stronger on card stock than
> the typical  hot lamination? Is it hard to delaminate from card
>  stock? What about heavily coated stock?

Using coated stock is carrying coals to newcastle, and even though
the machines have vacuum feeders, they work better with uncoated
stock. Laminating to coated stock offers no benefit to the
appearance.

>    3. I understand that the Xyron plastic lamination is
> polypropylene. I
> have heard this is softer than Mylar or Nylon, but is the Xyron
> polypropylene acceptable for books in terms of scuffing and
> scratching?

The machines will laminate anything to anything. I have even
laminated paper to paper to make a special duplex cover stock.
Nylon, mylar, polypropylene, PVC, even celophane will work. If it
comes in a roll you can laminate it to something.

(What paper did I laminate to what paper? And what for? I laminated
40# kraft wrapping paper to 10 point cover for a book on bagging
for a supermarket chain.)

>    4. Is the Xyron lamination more expensive that hot lamination
> or other lamination systems? I figured the Xyron lamination would
> cost about 80 cents US for a 8.5 x 11 inch book format. I want
> to use it for semi production book binding.

It gets quite cheap, the usual quantity discounts apply.

>    5. Is it possible to buy Xyron lamination supplies in bulk for
> a lower cost when my volumes go up?

As I said, as usual, quantiy discounts apply.

>    6. What other neat things could I do as far as book covers go
> with this Xyron cold lamination system?

Your only limit is your immagination.

MayKitten

> Ben Wiens...applied energy scientist
> Ben Wiens Energy Science Inc.
> 8-1200 Brunette Ave. Coquitlam BC Canada V3K1G3
> E-mail: ben@benwiens.com
> Energy Website: http://www.benwiens.com
> Read my popular web-booklet "The Future of Fuel Cells"

=====
Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

>From the book, Charge of the Goddess
BY: Doreen Valiente