Re: [BKARTS] Xyron laminators?

Hi, Ben
The Xyron laminator applies a clear plastic film that is coated on one side
with a contact glue which forms a firm bond with the substrate. The film comes
in a disposable cartridge. Cartridges are available loaded with single-sided
laminate; double-sided laminate; laminate which has contact glue on both sides
(for making signs which stick to a wall), etc. The lamination machine has a
crank on the side which rolls the substrate between two rolls, firmly applying
the laminate to the substrate. At the same time it removes a protective film
from the adhesive. There is a cut-off blade built in, but it is not very
accurate, so the covers come out with different lengths.
    I use the Xyron 8500, which applies lamination which covers 8.5 inch wide
cover stock, plus about 1/8 inch on each side. They also make machines which
take 4", 12", and even wider stock.
    I use single-sided lamination, which adheres well to book covers. I never
use coated stock for book covers which are to be laminated unless I am
printing a photo on the cover. The laminate adheres well to coated stock, but
some coatings adhere less well to the substrate. Usually I use index card
stock, which is not coated.
   I have not found Xyron lamination to cause curl. However, when you laser
print cover-weight stock, the fuser temperature causes it to curl temporarily.
This is because the heat takes more moisture out of one side of the paper than
the other. Storage of the freshly printed items, unwrapped, in a room with
about 50 percent humidity, for 24 to 48 hours, will remove almost all of the
curl. Do not laminate the stock before it has uncurled or the lamination will
tend to retain the curl.
    The bond between the lamination and the cover stock is tighter with Xyron
than with the hot laminations I have tried, but there are many types of hot
laminators and hot lamination film which I have not tried.
    I printed song books which have been used weekly by the local Exchange
club for three years. The non-laminated books are a mess, with coffee stains,
ink marks, etc. The ones with laminated covers still look like new. No
scratches. I have never heard of anyone using nylon or mylar for book covers.
     The 8.5 inch wide single laminate costs about $25 for 100 feet. That is
about 25 cents per pocket book cover; less than 50 cents per 8.5 x 11" book.
The cost is less in quantities. Hot laminate is cheaper per square foot, but
the laminator is much more expensive, there is more waste, and the bond is not
as good.
     Rupert

Rupert N. Evans
Summer: 101 W Windsor Rd. #4107, Urbana, IL 61802-6697
217-337-7833
Winter: 501-391 S LaPosada Circle, Green Valley, AZ 85614
520-648-8365
Author of Book-On-Demand Publishing
I love to print and bind books