Re: [BKARTS] board shearer

Douglas,

We once had someone cut their head pretty badly from doing just what you
describe - leaving the blade arm up and then maneuvering and adjusting the
paper on the bed of the table and then coming up and whacking their head on
the underside of the blade.  Consequently - we always leave the blade arm
in the down position and the balance at the end of the arm is adjusted for
that lower resting spot.  I had a second blade made for our Jacques shear a
few years ago so that we would not be without one when the blade is out
being sharpened - so maybe our blades are sharper than yours - but I still
wouldn't recommend leaving the arm up - I think it's just asking for
trouble.  We do cut alot of board and make lots of repeat cuts - but we are
used to it being in the down position - so it doesn't seem to be a bother.
That's my two cents...

Michelle Venditelli
Bindery Manager
Brown University