Re: [BKARTS] Book Arts Towns

At 09:25 PM 8/19/2002 -0600, Kevin Thomas wrote:

>Can anyone recommend towns that are good towns for book artists or even
>just good towns for artists in general. One of my main criteria for a
>place to go is that it must have a strong arts community.
>
>Espcially looking for medium-sized towns, say 50,000 to 200,000 people.

Let me recommend Iowa City, Iowa for consideration -- population 75,000,
though I've not yet been able to understand (after three and a half years
living here) whether or not this includes the roughly 30,000 students
enrolled at the University of Iowa and who come and go at well-defined (and
welcome) intervals.  The arts community in general is diverse, certainly
strong, and has a long history of support, and the book arts community
specifically rivals those in a select number of major cities.  Iowa City is
about four hours by car from Chicago, six from St. Louis and Kansas City,
eight from Minneapolis --- nearly all of the midwest, in other words, is a
day or less away.

Depending on age and needs, the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
are large and good (their "catchment area" for many specialities reaches as
far west as Montana), medical research is extensive and well-funded, and
there are highly regarded retirement / long-term care facilities.  The
midwest work ethic is strong, people pretty gentle with one another.

Sidney F. Huttner * Head, Special Collections *
The University of Iowa Libraries *  Iowa City, Iowa 52242-1420 *
319-335-5922 * FAX: 319-335-5900 *
e-mail: sid-huttner@uiowa.edu
Department homepage: http:/www.lib.uiowa.edu/spec-coll/
The LUCILE Project: http://staffweb.lib.uiowa.edu/shuttner/huttner.htm