Re: [BKARTS] board shearer

In a message dated 8/20/02 2:10:45 PM, dsanders@INDIANAHISTORY.ORG writes:

<< We have a Robust board shearer here at the IHS lab and have found some
difficulty when making numerous cuts in one go, ...........My question is,
should I adjust the counter balance at the end of the arm, so that the arm
swings to full upright position, when in a 'resting' state.  I know some
people are against having the arm
upright for safety reasons,  >>

******
First, find out why the blade is sticking midway. Is it because the
Counterbalance is perfectly balanced? Or, is possible that there is a
misalignment of the blades (not perfectly parallel)? Or is there some
adhesive residue on the blades? -------- In reverse order --- 1) clean and
lubricate the blades: In the past, I have used acetone and then bar soap or
wax, but now I am using a Mineral Spirits and Mineral Oil mixture that is
used by restaurants for cleaning stainless steel surfaces -- the product name
is "SWELL" and it works swell leaving no oily residue; 2) If the blades are
rubbing excessively at the mid point, you should make an adjustment to
prevent undue wear. It may require shimming; 3) My preference is to balance
the blade so that it will stay SAFELY in the UP position. As stated by Bruce
Levy, there is less chance of injury in the up position. ALSO, remember that
the shear is always ready for use when it is up.
********NOTE FOR OLDER SHEARS: Be sure that there is a Safety Pin or Bolt at
the end of the Counterbalance Arm to prevent the Counterbalance from sliding
off.
*******NOTE FOR ALL SHEARS: Check that all bolts are tight and secure ---
this should probably be done Annually.
*******Another Note: The Guild of Book Workers made a video for adjusting
Board Shears, especially the Jacques. UNFORTUNATELY, it has not yet been
released. It may contain some information that will interest to anyone with a
Board Shear.

Regarding the sharpness of the blades: It may be due to the misalignment of
the blades. Resharpening and proper alignment may be necessary.
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695
814-793-4020