[BKARTS] Flood in the Czech Republic

Here's an AP article on freezing books in flooded Czech Republic.

http://boston.com/dailyglobe2/235/nation/Czechs_turn_to_vegetable_freezers_to_save_treasures+.shtml

The article points out that freezing is only a measure to buy time. What
sorts of things must be done to conserve a wet book? I assume that you
start with freeze drying to get rid of the moisture, but then what?

Can anyone on the list briefly describe the book conservation efforts
after the Florence flood in the 1960s(?). I seem to recall reading that
that was when a lot of modern conservation techniques were developed.