Re: [BKARTS] Altered Books -History

 Re Tristram Shandy...aka Laurence Sterne
Found him! Shades of Blake I think...Interesting that Dodsley's published him when there is an unconfirmed reference to them publishing one of Blake's works too...wonder if they were one and the same people....the style, writing & even subject is similar do you agree? Then again, perhaps it's the period style as much as the person.?
How could I not recognise the source of "Alas poor Yorick!" SAD that!
Smiles from Sue
  Richard Minsky <minsky@MINSKY.COM> wrote: Sue wrote:
>I think it goes back to William Morris

If you plan to include books originally published with inclusions (like Claude &
Sabine) I would suggest Tristram Shandy as an earlier model. I wouldn't consider
these to be altered books. My definition requires the book to be altered after
publication.

Gerald wrote:
>First time I have seen a reference to the altered book here!

There have been numerous posts on the subject. The list archive is a good
resource.

(Peter, thanks for reverting to the Excite search engine, it works much better
now).

You also will find many altered books in the Center for Book Arts Exhibition
Archives.
http://centerforbookarts.org/history/h_archives.html

In particular, you may want to look at the 1988 exhibition "The Altered Page."
http://centerforbookarts.org/exhibits/alteredpage/catalog.html

The catalog is still available from the CBA for $20 ($23 with domestic s&h; $27
with foreign s&h).

--
Richard
http://www.minsky.com