Re: [BKARTS] remedy for foxing

Dear Mr. Godshalk,

I am no expert on this subject, but live in an area that is very
prone to develop foxing in books.
>From what I have read, freezing will cause the fungi to go dormant, but,
it is my understanding that it will not kill the fungi.  When thawed
the books will still have the fungus in the paper, unless it is
removed by some process and will begin to grow again if environmental
conditions are favorable for growth.
I understand that countries like Norway, Sweden and Finland have
no foxing in their books because it is always cold.
However, if all you plan to do with the books is store them,
freezing may do well, but, it is difficult to read books in a frozen
state and taking them in and out of a freezer for use would be
terribly problematic and strenuous for the paper.
I can't see this idea working for a library or even an individual
with a library.

Jane Brown
Charleston, SC

--On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 2:42 PM -0400 "W.L. Godshalk"