Re: [BKARTS] Beginner asking for advice

If you have access to a laser printer which can handle paper 11 x 17", I would
recommend laser printing your book covers. I use Verona, a paper-backed
non-woven book cloth that is very easy to handle. I get it from LBS (Library
Binding Service) 1801 Thompson Ave, PO Box 1413, Des Moines, IA 50305-1413
Tel: 515-262-3191; 800-247-5323 Fax: 800-262-4091 www.lbsbind.com E-MAIL
lbs@lbsbind.com
    They will cut the book cloth to any size that you want, and have a $25
minimum order. They have several colors, but I particularly like their red.
    I have no connection with LBS except as a satisfied customer.
    After you print the cover, spray the printing with clear Krylon or similar
to protect the toner from being accidentally damaged.
    Another way of titling hard cover books is to print labels and paste them
to the spine and the front cover.
Rupert

http://www.philobiblon.com"              <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> =====
>        I would like to find a store that sell compressed cardboard to do my
>bookbinding.  I live in New Orleans. I bought my first supplies from
Hollander's
>ordering it through the internet at http://www.hollanders.com/.  However, I
want
>to get access to a local supplier, specially that I am a beginner.  I just
>finished binding my 12th book.
>        Since I am retired and live on a fixed income, I have been buying
cotton
>fabrics at a local store, using Magic Sizing to starch the fabrics and using
>them as bookcloth after ironing them.  Since I am a good reader and own more
>than a 1,000 books (technical, history, foreign countries), I pursue
bookbinding
>as a craft to repair my books, to convert paperbacks to hardcover, and to
>prepare my  books to give my family tree, my photo albums, and to pass my
>memories to my children.
>        Besides the cardboard, my other problem is how to print book titles.
>do not want to pay $2,000 for a foil printer.  I wonder if there is another
>manual way of doing it, like using a letter set to indent the title into the
>book cover (no ink).  I might be able to do it with a simple bench vise and
have
>a nice looking title.
>        In this context, I would like your suggestions on how to solve these
>bookbinding problems related to buying compressed cardboard and printing book
>titles manually.  Any other suggestions?

Rupert N. Evans
Summer: 101 W Windsor Rd. #4107, Urbana, IL 61802-6697
217-337-7833
Winter: 501-391 S LaPosada Circle, Green Valley, AZ 85614
520-648-8365
Author of Book-On-Demand Publishing
I love to print and bind books