Re: [BKARTS] Thymol?

>From: Peter Verheyen <verheyen@PHILOBIBLON.COM>
>To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
>Subject: Re: [BKARTS] remedy for foxing
>Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 16:16:25 -0400
>
>Keeping the book in conditions not conducive to the growth of fungus
>(mold). This means RH below 50% (ideally), with temps in the temperate
>range. Foxing loves dank conditions.
>
>In terms of killing, you can fumigate with thymol, but a) it's
>carcinogenic, b) smells, and c) won't prevent fungus/mold from coming back
>if conditions are ripe. It will also not reduce the stains.
>
>p.
>

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Philobiblon: Book Arts, Different By Design
>Hand Binding, Conservation, and Project Websites
>Peter D. Verheyen
><mailto:verheyen@philobiblon.com>
><http://www.philobiblon.com/philobiblon>

I did not know that Thymol is a carcinogen! Where can
I get more info about the risks? I use it regularly as a
fungistatic additive (in an alcohol solution) for starch pastes.
It seems so innocent next to the ethyl acetates and MEKs and
p-dichlorobenzines...Yikes!
Bill

Bill Cotter
Milou Bookbinding & Conservation