Re: [BKARTS] Thymol/foxing

In reference to bleaching, I have had some luck washing the paper in water and ammonium hydroxide, sometimes with the addition of hydrogen peroxide.  To my understanding both chemicals eventually turn to oxygen and hydrogen leaving little if any residual chemicals in the paper.  The peroxide in the alkaline environment of the ammonia acts as a mild bleach.  The foxing, while wet, goes from a darkening to a lighter and more transparent discoloration.  When dry the foxing is often substantially lighter, or even gone (visually at least).
     However, the above treatment can darken the overall color of the paper when there is substantial lignin content.  Here again, this new darkening will sometimes lighten over time, on it's own, and return to it's almost original color.  Hope this helps too.

Bruce