Re: [BKARTS] Thymol/foxing

To add my two cents:
I would not think that Thymol would do anything for the iron-based foxing. It
may help for the other types of foxing. However, as stated before, the best
is to maintain a proper environment.

To add to this discussion:
Many years ago, I was contacted by an insurance company regarding excessive
foxing in some books that were shipped from Germany to Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
The owner claimed that the books were in fine condition when they were
packed, but upon their arrival, they were foxed. I was asked if that was
possible -- this was phone conversation; I did not see the books. Without any
investigation (no e-mail at that time), I said that I could not believe that
foxing could occur within a few months. HOWEVER, to my amazement, I now
understand that foxing can occur very quickly under the right conditions.
Does anyone know how quickly?
Apparently, this is what happened: The cargo container was packed with the
books during a snow storm. The container was placed on a ship that crossed
the Atlantic during the summer. Upon being unpacked, the books were found to
be damaged by foxing. Unfortunately, I did not get any names when I was
called. If only I had known better, the insured could have received some
reimbursement for the damage done to his fine collection of books.
I/We always have something to learn.
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695