Please join us for the 2002
Frederic W. Goudy Lecture
October 5, 2002
7:30 p.m.
Humanities Auditorium
Scripps College
Who Put the Art in Book Art?
Betty Bright
The story of the book arts in America turns on the question of how and when
artists recognized the book as an expressive format capable of carrying image
and text, or of altering in structure and material into sculpture. We will
look at four kinds of artists’ books from the 1960s and 1970s that redefined
possibilities for the book as art, noting differences in media, format,
content, and artistic stance. We will also touch upon the theoretical debates
that influenced the field in the perception and production of different
artists’ books. Finally, since we are engaged in the next stage, we will look
as a few contemporary books that suggest future directions for the book arts.
There are many histories of the book arts; every history is determined by the
teller. I hope to spark discussion among those present as to their own
perceptions of what happened and why.

Frederic W. Goudy Workshop
October 5 and 6, 2002
9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Scripps College Press
Cost: $135
The Book Artist as Storyteller
Betty Bright
Readers link books with storytelling. Knowing this, artists put stories into
books, but they do it in unconventional ways. They may build a story through
collage or through transparent pages that change our reading as the pages are
turned. They may surprise the reader with pages that pop up or with pictures
that contradict the storyline. We will begin by briefly reviewing how
narrative works in literature so that we can better understand how artists
use or subvert those techniques. We will look at and talk about leading
artists’ books and the influences that shaped them, both in slides and by
handling the books themselves from the instructor’s own extensive collection.
Group exercises will demonstrate that these techniques and strategies are
available to all of us who enjoy reading or creating our own stories.

Frederic W. Goudy Dinner
Please join Betty Bright for dinner on the evening of the Goudy Lecture, at
6:00 p.m. in the Hampton Room. Cost: $20.00

Betty Bright is an independent teacher and curator. She has a Ph. D. in art
history from the University of Minnesota; her specialty is the history of the
artists’ book in America from 1960 to 1980. She helped start Minnesota Center
for Book Arts and served as its curator of exhibitions for nine years.

Exhibition at the Williamson Gallery
You are also invited to view the Scripps College Faculty Exhibition at the
Ruth Chandler Williamson Gallery on the Scripps College campus, near the
corner of 11th and Columbia. The exhibition opened August 30 and continues
until October 13, 2002. A reception will be held on September 14 from 7 to 9
p.m. Kitty Maryatt will give a gallery talk on her work at noon on September
18. Reservations are not required for any of these events. Hours are
Wednesday through Saturday, 1 to 5 p.m., closed Monday and Tuesday.
Arrangements for other viewing hours can be made.

Announcing the latest book from the Scripps College Press:
Limited Edition
Built by the typography students at Scripps College Press
5 x 3 x 2 inches
$125
This is a nice, fat, fit-in-your-hand sort of book. It was inspired by 15th
century Books of Hours and by Boundaries, published in 2000 by architect and
artist Maya Lin. She notes the blurring of boundaries between art and
architecture. Students in the typography class set boundaries and
investigated how to push their own limitations. The small size was chosen as
an hommage to Nicholas Kis, 17th century Hungarian punchcutter and designer
of Janson type. The text drives over the gutter. It is letterpress printed on
hand-ripped Somerset Satin with pochoir imagery throughout. The binding is
entirely glued, not sewn, and has a half-slipcase. The cover boards are made
from modified accordion-folded Somerset Satin to accommodate the swell and
are glued to the text block. Both book and slipcase are covered in Japanese
momi paper.

To obtain a copy, please send a check for $125, plus $6 shipping, and 8.25%
sales tax if you are in California. Send to the address below. Our last book,
Deep Rooted, is out of print, but On the Impact of Expectations published in
2001 is still available for $160. All other editions published since 1986 are
out of print.

The Goudy Lecture is free and open to the public. You must register for the
Goudy Workshop and Dinner before October 1, 2002. Send $135 check for the
workshop and/or $20 for the dinner to:

Scripps College Press
1030 Columbia Avenue
Claremont, California 91711

For further information, contact Prof. Kitty Maryatt, Director of the Scripps
College Press, at (909) 607-3866 or KMaryatt@ScrippsCollege.edu.