[BKARTS] more on mold

For better or worse, but inevitably, collection materials with mold
frequent our book lab. Quite a bit of research that we have found
useful has come to light in recent years.  The research discusses the
use of biocides, such as thymol, and genetic mutagens, such as UV to
kill mold; information on foxing; and procedures for mold removal.

Recent information about mold that I found most interesting was
contributed by Mary Lou Florian on the Conservation Distlist
7/10/2001 at
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byform/mailing-lists/cdl/2001/0893.html
-to paraphrase her comments: even if we kill or prevent germination
of the conidia {mold spores},  unfortunately this is only half the
problem.  Even if killed, the fungal structures; conidia or
beta-glucanns in hyphal fragments are antigenic or mycotoxic.  These
characteristics are not altered by the treatments.  The conidia may
be dead but if antigenic they are still a health hazard. (The health
hazard would include allergic and respiratory reactions.)

Here are some articles that I found helpful. (Some of them are
available online. Others, if difficult to find, can be obtained by
document delivery through BCIN at :
http://www.bcin.ca/English/home_english.html-)

(please excuse the inconsistent citation formats!!)
Abbey Newsletter Vol 23 nos. 4-8. Mold, The whole picture. Abbey
Publications 512.929.3992. now online through CoOl at
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/

ACGIH. Bio Aerosols Assessment and Control. 1999 ed. <www.acgih.org>

Florian, Mary-Lou. "Conidial fungi (mould) activity on artifact
materials: a new look at prevention, control, and eradication."  ICOM
Committee for Conservation tenth triennial meeting, Washington, DC,
22-27 August 1993: preprints p. 868-874

Florian, Mary-Lou. "Conidial Fungi (Mold, Mildew) Biology: A Basis
for Logical Prevention, Eradication and Treatment of Museum and
Archival Collections", Leather Conservation News, Vol 10, 1994, pp.
1-29.

Florian, Mary-Lou.  The Role of the Conidia of Fungi in Fox Spots.
Studies in Conservation. Vol. 41, No.  2  (p. 65-75) 1996.

Florian, Mary-Lou. Heritage Eaters: Insects and Fungi in Heritage
Collections. London: James & James, 1997.

Lee, Mary Wood. Prevention and Treatment of Mold in Library
Collections, A RAMP Study. 1991. General Information Program and
UNISIST, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural
Organization, Paris, 1988. (UNESCO, Maison de l'Unesco, 7 Place du
Fontenoy, Paris F75007, France).

Price, Louise Olcott. Mold, Technical Series No. 1. Conservation
Center for Art and Historic Artifacts/ 264 South 23rd
Street/Philadelphia, PA 19103 (tel. 215-545-0613).  Online:
http://www.ccaha.org/technic.html

Rossol, Monona. Mold: Nothing to Sneeze At, New York: ACTS, 1999 revision.
May be obtained from the author through Arts Crafts and Theater
Safety, Inc.181 Thompson Street, #23, NY, NY 10012 (212) 777-0062.
Email:75054.2542@compuserve.com Web site: http://www.caseweb.com/acts/

Strang, Thomas. Controlling Museum Fungal Problems. Canadian
Conservation Institute/1030 Innes Road/Ottawa, ONT, Canada K1A OC8.
(tel. 613-998-3721).

Olivia Primanis,
Senior Book Conservator
Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center