[BKARTS] Los Angeles Book Arts Center

Greetings Book and Paper Artists:

An energetic group of Book Artists have joined together to form the Los
Angeles Book Arts Center.  The purpose of this center will be to provide
resources, networking, support, classes, lectures, education, exhibits and
any needed assistance to book and paper artists.  We are just getting started
and this is an e-mail to inform you of what has been going on and to request
that you join us in this exciting endeavor.

Thus far we have secured the web address LABookArts.com and are in the
process of getting our website up.  A schedule of classes that will be
offered has been mailed out.  We are having our first book arts exhibition in
October.  And a holiday sale for all members to show and sell all types of
book and paper arts has been organized for November 30.  You should be
receiving this information in the mail shortly.  If you do not receive our
mailing please e-mail me your address and I will make sure you get on the
list.

We are having an organizational meeting at 6:30 PM on Wednesday, September
11, 2002, at Gloria Helfgott's studio in Pacific Palisades.  The address is
869 Via De La Paz, Suite D.  The purpose of this meeting will be to form the
basic board and get some committees up and running.  Your participation at
this meeting will be greatly appreciated and ensure the success of the
center.

Please consider the following list of committees to determine where your
interests and skills lie and how you would like to be involved.

1.  Board Member - We will need a President, Treasurer and Secretary to
start.

2.  Membership - Individuals to keep track of membership, generate a
     membership form and coordinate all membership tasks.

3.  Programing - Individuals to coordinate teachers, classes, lecturers
     handle class lists, waiting lists etc.

4.   Website - Individuals to input information and maintain a website.

5.   Fundraising - Individuals to find funding, this includes everything from
soliciting
      donations to grant writing.

6.   Publicity - Individuals to contact local papers and all resources
available to us to
      get the word out about the Book Arts Center, our classes and events.

7.   Space - Individuals to research alternatives for a permanent location to
house
      the Los Angeles Book Arts Center.

8.   Nonprofit Corporation - Individuals to help with the formation of the
nonprofit
      corporation.

9.    Mailings - Individuals who can be called on to help out from time to
time when
       mailings need to go out.

This are the most pressing needs at the moment, more will be discussed on
September 11.  Please let me know if you will be attending and please invite
individuals you think would be interested.  We would appreciate it if you
would all bring a little something delicious to share with the group since we
will be meeting at dinnertime and everyone will be coming straight from work.
 If you need directions I will be more than happy to furnish them.

Thanks for your support.

Lisa Deutsch
8642 Gregory Way
Suite 301