Re: [BKARTS] plant press

Cari,

I inherited one of those flower presses years ago and I would not recommend
buying one. Mine broke when I tightened the screw as tightly as I needed
to. Those presses are not made for books. Stick with your boxes of books,
etc., until you can make or buy a real press. (When I was new at it, I used
a lot of weird stuff for weights: bowling bowl in the case, portable sewing
machine, concrete blocks, etc.) Some bookbinding instruction books show
handmade tools. Manly Bannister shows a press on page 13 of his BOOKBINDING
AS A HANDCRAFT. My daughter, a loom builder turned computer programmer,
used the instructions to make the press I've used for years. I put springs
around the redibolts between the boards to hold the press open, making it
press easier to use.

Bannister has several other neat tools you or a friend could make. Check
out other bookbinding instruction books. You sound like you are just
starting out. I strongly recommend you take a class in bookbinding or, if
that's not an option, you find some good books. There is important
information you should know if you're going to succeed.

Good luck!

Betty
At 07:59 PM 9/13/02 EDT, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm in the process of making some small handmade books, and would like to get
>a small book press to help in the production. A colleague has a small plant
>and flower press made by Smith and Hawken that she uses as a small book
>press. It is about 8 x 10 with a fairly big screw on top to tighten it down.
>I've looked on eBay and on the internet and can't locate one of these. Can
>anyone here help? Wish I could be more specific about how this looks, but I
>am new to book production and still learning the fine points. Any advice
>would be appreciated. At this point I am still using piles of heavy books
>with a small anvil on top to weight it all down.
>
>Cari

Betty Storz
PO Box 542
Mendocino, CA  95460