Re: [BKARTS] Plant Press

I made a simple press yesterday, Cari.  It's a 12-inch square finishing press.
The oak, brass bolts and wing nuts and handle and screws cost less than $25 at Lowes. Since they cut the wood for free, all I had to do was drill holes and sand rough spots from the cut.
One list member noted that books can be overpressed, so I realize I need to go in search of information on when to press hard or light.
Another question:  For the sake of future books, should the oak be left unfinished or not?  If finished, polyurethane or what?
 Cari Ferraro wrote:Hello,

I'm in the process of making some small handmade books, and would like to get
a small book press to help in the production.

Kathleen S. Wolford, Mineral Springs, Pa., kathleenwolford@yahoo.com