Re: [BKARTS] Finishing tools: initials

Plates 132-140 of the 1860 edition of Fairbairn's Crests of the Families of
Great Britain and Ireland (which I keep near to hand for help with
bookplates) contain "monograms, or reversed initials". There are modern
reprints of this work, which is popular with the genealogists.

These plates don't include every combination, of course, but it's a better
starting point than one's own crossed eyes. As the subscription list makes
clear, the book was intended to provide, among other things, standard
models for silversmiths, engravers, and the like.

At 9/17/02    05:01 PM, you wrote:
>At 10:02 PM 9/16/2002 +0000, Sid Huttner wrote:
>Monograms --
>intertwined initials -- were popular in the 18th and 19th centuries and may
>certainly have been used both earlier and later.  If you can tease out the
>initials, then it might be possible to link them with a specific person
>using biographical sources such as Burke's Peerage (found at a nearby
>research library).  If the initials can't be disentangled, then there'd not
>be much hope of making links.  I don't know of any catalogs of identified
>monograms, etc.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-2093 : RICHARD_NOBLE@BROWN.EDU