Re: [BKARTS] Exquisite Corpse

Have saved the Exquiste Corpse posts to read later. It's something I am
interested in and do with my classes. Just wanted to mention a great book
that I picked up this summer at the Drawing Center in NY, "The Return of
The Cadavre Exquis". It's a catalogue for a show that was there in 1993
and traveled through 1995 - many artists did very interesting
collaborations.

The catalogue goes into great detail about the history of the Exquisite
Corpse. The definition they provide accompanies the first collage made by
Andre Breton, Max Morise, Jeannette Tanguy, Pierre Naville, Benjamin
Peret, Yves Tanguy, and Jacques Prevert, circa 1927. They titled their
collage "Figure, (Cadavre Exquis)" and it appeared in the 1938
Dictionnaire abrege du surrealisme.

The translation of the surrealists' definition is: "Game of folded paper
which consists in having several people compose a phrase or a drawing
collectively, none of the participants having any idea of the nature of
the preceding contribution or contributions. The now classic example,
which gave its name to the game, is the first phrase obtained in this
manner: THE EXQUISITE-CORPSE-SHALL-DRINK-THE-YOUNG-WINE."

William Drendell did a great exercise using comic books at PBI several
years ago. The combination of random phrases we spoke in and out
of sequence was much fun.

 -Janet

        Janet Maher
        Assistant Professor, Fine Arts/Studio