Re: [BKARTS] Book Plow

When I was just starting bookbinding, I made a very simple plow like this:

1. take two pieces of plywood, say 10x10 inches (ie, book size)
2. glue a 2x2 x 10 inches long board flush with the edge of one of the
boards.
3. put the book to be trimmed between the boards, then clamp them in a
Black and Decker Workmate.
4. Trim the book with a wood chisel using the 2x2 as a bearing surface to
keep the chisel flat and perpendicular to the book. It will take several
passes, you will cut perhaps ten pages at best per stroke.

Notes:

1. Use a big wide chisel to help keep it flat.
 2. Chisel must be dead sharp, will tear if even the slightest dull.
3. Chisel tends to lift slightly while trimming, you have to be careful to
keep the cut perpendicular. Practice!  Try on magazines at first, where even
a slightly off cut is better than a ragged edge when every volume is a
different
size.

This chisel lifting problem is the main problem with such a simple plow. It
works but you really have to be attentive. You will soon understand why the
traditional plow is designed the way it is.

I saw this in a book somewhere, but can't find it again.

This does quite good job, at least until you pick up a real guillotine at an
auction some day!

Chris