Re: [BKARTS] oak boards

I hadn't run into "rift-cut" before, either. It's defined as "Rift Cut The
cut slices slightly across the medullary rays, accentuating the vertical
grain and minimizing the "flake". Rift grain is restricted to red and white
oak."
I think this is similar to quarter-sawing, because it appears to be
different from rotary cutting, the way veneer is commonly cut.
Neither of these technologies would be "period" for the medieval book boards
project that started this thread, since they weren't used before this
century or so.

Quarter-sawn boards are pie-piece cuts as you look down the circle diameter
of a log; you use quarter-sawn wood for instrument building. The grain is
very straight down the cut piece of wood. The end grain would look like

Plane-sliced, or board slices, are where you cut the round log in parallel
(planar) slices. The cut goes across the rings, so (like 'yer old cheap wood
shelves) you might get some warping down the road.  The end cross section
might look sort of like this:   /////\\\\\

Where do I learn more about davy board, and common thicknesses used in book
binding?

Ruth Temple
SF, CA