[BKARTS] Oak Boards

Szirmai's "Archaeology of Medieval Bookbinding" has a number of pages devoted to measurements, sawing and beveling of oak boards in the Middle Ages. As best I can make out he argues that boards were deliberately *not* quarter-sawed (as I believe would have been the usual standard), so as to ensure a bit of positive warp to clasp the block. I would think the better practice would have been to carve the warp into a quarter-sawed board, as I've seen done in at least one late Medieval/early Modern cover, but hey, it's his book...

Paul T Werner, New York
http://theorangepress.com

WOID: A journal of visual language
DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES, a project to research and practice the techniques of the medieval scribe