[BKARTS] wood book covers

There might be different uses of words in different parts of the country,
however, in the northeast, (where a cabinet is something you drink as well
as something in which you store things) - we make a distinction between
"plain sawn" and "rotary cut." Rotary is cutting very thin pieces "around"
the log, usually, although not always, a half log. When these pieces are put
on top of each other in sequence, a "flitch" is created and the pieces
resemble each other throughout the stack - re: characteristics of graining.
Rift and quartered boards can be of veneer thickness. OR, they can be thick
e.g., 3/4'' floor boards are popular in both rift and quartered cuts. (Plain
sawn.)

Rift is straight linear grain. Quartered has the flecks in it. It is how the
log is cut that will create the difference in the look. But ancient practice
"could" have allowed for either of these graining characteristics. That does
not mean that I know they did. I am not such a terrific historian. I welcome
learning the species of trees used!

Other species of trees have special characteristics allowing for different
graining patterns. I agree, we usually reserve the word "quarter-sawn" for
oak. However, rift is used with a number of wood species.

Hmmm - more than we want to know about wood in bookland???

A.