[BKARTS] "Embossed" cover?

Please excuse my ignorance on the subject; heck, I'm so stupid I don't even know how to ask what I want to ask. But I'll try.

I have seen covers that look as if they are embossed. If I had a guess, these would be created on the paper by first making a design using cord on a board, then soaking the paper which is placed onto this cord, pressing down on the paper so the cord embosses the design onto the paper. Again, I apologize for my ignorance, but I am trying to my best, and am willing and wanting to learn.

If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about, and can point me to somewhere that I can learn this process, I would certainly appreciate it. And if it turns out that I am too ignorant for this mail-list, let me know and I'll sit on my hands until I'm smart enough to participate (it there ever is such a nexus for me.)

Best regards,
Billy