Re: [BKARTS] Tyvek Search

Sources for Tyvek for graphics, bookbinding:

Matthias Paper Corporation
1927 Baker Road, High Point, NC 27236
800-334-6791, 336-434-2166
FAX: 336-434-2511

They will send you a sample packet which includes four weights of Tyvek, 8
1/2 x 11 and a folder "Graphically Tyvek" by DuPontcontaining 9 weight
samples and a graphic applications guide.

I used slips of Tyvek, cut from one of the lightweight samples, as tapes to
sew a book when I felt linen tapes would be too bulky. I have not yet
ordered from Matthias, or called for more information, but will when the
need arises. Some time ago, someone on the list questioned the use of
Tyvek for sewing for fear of the Tyvek eventually cutting through the
thread. Does anyone have experience with that?

Also, Light Impressions carries sheets of Tyvek. I don't have the catalog
at hand , but I saw the listing recently.

Betty

At 10:07 PM 9/23/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Lotte:
>
>I got my Tyvek from my local small bookbinding shop, in this case in North
Vancouver Canada. It is white. I haven't used it much for bookbinding yet
but I used it to reinforce my fridge door on the inside using cold emulsion
glue. Really are there no bookbinders that carry it where you live? My
bookbinder seemed to think it was really common stuff for a bookbinder to
carry. Apparently lots of schoolchildren buy it as the Tyvek pattern
underneath paintings on book covers is interesting.
Ben
Betty Storz
PO Box 542
Mendocino, CA  95460