Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 22 Sep 2002 to 23 Sep 2002 (#2002-261)

> Date:    Mon, 23 Sep 2002 17:39:37 GMT
> From:    Billy Enigmar Godfrey <enigmar@POBOX.COM>
> Subject: "Embossed" cover?

> I have seen covers that look as if they are embossed.

Many thanks for the several private responses I've received on this. I've gotten some good ideas, and now have a good idea on what I need to do. If I am successful, I'll compile my notes and post them.

A bit of background, at a book show a year or so ago, there was a dealer showing several pieces from Circle Press. I bought the catalog/history, which has the kind of cover similar to what I want to do (you can see this at their website at: http://www.circlepress.com/circle_press/pilot/history.html ).

Had I been more observant, I would have noticed from one caption on their site that they used wire, and not cord. This makes sense, as the cord may have too much "give" to make a good impression.

I've also gotten advise on the use of linoleum that will add a different aspect to my ideas. I think cut designs in linoleum, along with designs in wire, could give me a combination of a real embossed (the linoleum design) and bas-relief (with the wire).

A couple of people told me to use thick felt on top of the paper being embossed, which I think is where I really messed up in my experimentation.

Overall, I'm much smarter on the subject now, and look forward to trying this out. I'm heading off to the arts paper store tomorrow to find just the right medium to use.

Again, thanks to all for sharing your expertise!

Billy