[BKARTS] Leather alternatives

Dear List,
Normally, I have some answers, but this time I have a question:
I had an inquiry for some leather covered document holders. As one would
expect, cost is a factor. Good quality bookbinding leathers at $15 -20 per
square foot were out of the question. Imitation leather (cloth) does not have
the right look or feel. "Bonded Leather" was garbage the last time I used it
about ten years ago. And, many of the inexpensive, domestic leathers are
chrome tanned, and, therefore, do not work very well; they also have an
unpleasant plastic appearance.
I am looking for a leather alternative that is attractive and strong that
would work (mold) nicely, but the cost needs to be less than good quality
leather. Does anyone know of a leather alternative that might meet my needs?
Thanks,
Bill Minter

4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695