Re: [BKARTS] Paste experts reveal...

Basically (to keep it short and simple), starches come with straight
chain molecules (amylose) or branched chains (amylopectin).  Starches we
would use for paste making are composed of combinations of these two, in
differing ratios.   For the purpose of adhesion, it has been found that
wheat starch represents the best combination of qualities (color,
adhesion across a wide range of viscosities, flexibility, etc) of most
common cereal grains.  Rice starch is also sometimes used.
As for corn starch, I don't think it would create ideal adhesion,
especially when dilute.

In my experience, the number one factor in effective starch adhesion is
proper preparation of the paste.  Perhaps that is another subject...

Doug Sanders

Conservator
Indiana Historical Society
450 West Ohio Street