Re: [BKARTS] Paste experts reveal...

While we're back on the subject of paste:

I notice that the recipe for wheat paste in the 1930-40 Popular Mechanics
article on bookbinding tools (9/27 BKARTS  Book Plow and Other Plans)
includes alum, which is acidic. Laurence Town  is the only other binder who
also includes alum in his paste recipe. One other source I came across
recommends alum in paste to be used on leather since leather is acidic
naturally.

Does anyone else currently add alum to paste for leather? Would it hurt the
leather not to? Should acid-free PVA be used for pasting leather to boards?

Wheat paste is slightly acidic. Calcium carbonate added raises the PH.
Should it be added to as a matter of course to wheat paste to be used when
pasting paper?

These questions have been bothering me for some time. I have asked them
before but have never received a satisfactory answer. Maybe now is the time.

Many thanks for your help,

Betty

At 12:24 PM 9/27/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Oohhh, I will offer an opinion on that statement!  My job is doing book
>repair and I teach it.  I definitely recommend the use of wheat starch
>paste in book repair, especially for mending torn pages.....

Betty Storz
PO Box 542
Mendocino, CA  95460
e-mail storz@mcn.org