Re: [BKARTS] Paste experts reveal...

Thank you, Jack, for your usual detailed explanation about wheat and starch
pastes. I'm sure we all appreciate the time you take to help us.

Making paste can be a mystery for beginning bookbinders, especially those
who have had no experience using flour or cornstarch to make gravy or
thicken sauces.

I remember the workshop student who, after the paste lesson, proudly
reported his success. He told me he had gone to a Health Food store and
bought organic whole wheat flour to make his paste. "It worked," he said,
"but it WAS a little dark and grainy."

Oh, well. I suppose, if you're going to feed the bugs, it would be nice to
keep them healthy.

Thanks, again,

Betty

At 10:40 PM 9/27/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Betty, and all the rest who have contributed to this thread,
>
>Alum has many useful properties.  In the papermill it helps to clarify
>the water bacause it causes dissolved earth to drop out, and it hardens
>paste, making it less soluble.  It will also give you a couple of days
>extra before mold begins to develop.
>
>Not a good enough reason to use it, since it also lowers the pH of the
>water/paste.

Betty Storz
PO Box 542
Mendocino, CA  95460