Re: [BKARTS] Paper for rebacking

Christopher,

Tim's paper-case paper was/is a 40:60 blend of flax and cotton; air dried
(if memory serves - I purchased a large number of sheets in the early
1980's and have been working it off since then) & then pressed to flatten
the sheets.  Some didn't flatten very well so I purchased some seconds
also and cut bits out for rebacking.

A few years ago Hayle Mill produced a paper called Renaissance, which was
somewhat similar, but harder in texture.  It doesn't mold as well as Tim's.

Yes, I use it just as I would use leather.

Jack

>Jack,
>You mentioned earlier that you used Tim Barrets box-making paper for some
>rebacks on earlier books? I live in Europe and don't have easy, i.e.
>inexpensive, access to his papers. What are the qualities of this paper
>that >make it suitable
>for such a technique? Are there suitable papers available here in Europe for
>such a task?
>
>I take it you are using the paper just as one would use leather,
>matching the color, paring etc.?
>
>Christopher Brown.

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick