Re: [BKARTS] Looking for a "low-brow" archival tape?

I almost never use any kind of tape, but nevertheless I'd suggest
getting one of the archival tapes that have a PAPER carrier and use it
on edge tears.  For tears across printing or illustrations, some thin
Japanese tissue strips and paste would be better.   There is some risk
of the tape adhesives affecting the inks over time, and removal becomes
more difficult as the adhesive cross-links.  I haven't bought any for
years, so I'm not sure what these "archival" tapes cost now.  Art stores
usually carry these, made by Ademco, Lineco, or Neschen.

There are instructions in the archives for making paste in the
microwave—easy and cheap.  If the tear is a delamination, there will be
edges which can be swiped with a little paste on a knife tip and laid
down to dry.  Makes a very strong repair.  Use some pellon (fabric
interfacing) under and over the mend with a barrier of something like
blotter or paper towels to keep the mended area from sticking to the
page beneath.  Gently wipe the top edges of the mend with a clean cloth
to remove any paste that squeezes out.  After it's dry you can wipe the
back with a slightly moistened cloth to clean away extra paste you see
(shiny).

In time you could teach the kids to properly mend stuff.  They'd
probably enjoy it.

  Carol
Eugene, OR