Re: [BKARTS] Looking for a "low-brow" archival tape? What about edge gluing?

Ben,
There certainly is a method called "Casting" which can be used but I wouldn't suggest trying it without the proper equipment and a lot of experience. The Canadian Conservation Institute in Ottawa has the capability but it would be very expensive, certainly not something you would use for a children's book repair when you don't want to spend much time or money on it.

At 11:53 AM 30/09/02 -0700, you wrote:
>I was wondering if using tape or paper strips is the only way of fixing torn
>pages. Seems like a huge and ugly way of making a repair when you really
>think of it. Considering that some people are willing to pay good money some
>more sophisticated methods may be possible?

Lens paper strips are actually surprisingly invisible, cost little and take very little time to do. Casting can cost $100's of dollars.

>Is it impossible to actually glue the edges of the paper together? ...I hand deposited paper... In fact using tweezers the actual paper strands near the edge might
>be manipulated into mesh? Anyone tried this?

Why don't you try it and tell us how much time it takes? Also what would the electron microscope use cost? Then we can suggest it if a client wants to spend that amount of money.

Dave

David Allen
840 Snowdrop Avenue
Victoria, British Columbia