Re: [BKARTS] Looking for a "low-brow" archival tape? Casting?

Thanks David Allen for the information on casting. I found one decent
article which mentioned it:

Recent Developments in the Conservation of Parchment Manuscripts
http://aic.stanford.edu/conspec/bpg/annual/v15/bp15-14.html

Casting is an exotic process that seems to be used when non original fibers
are not desirable on the repaired page and also when parts of the page are
missing or there are holes. I had in mind using a US$1000 optical stereo
microscope and a US$200 syringe injection machine some of which it appears
is equipment that some conservationists already own.

I guess my main idea is that the human eye or a 5 power desk magnifying
glass is not powerful enough to do minute tasks properly such as repair a
tear in a 0.003 inch thick piece of paper. Even my dentist uses magnifying
glasses to do work that is much larger than the thickness of a paper tear.

I don't have a final technique in mind but I have worked on various small
scale projects in the past. I would imagine that a short tear repair under
the microscope with the right technique and tools could be done in 2
minutes. I just imagine someone out there may have already perfected that
technique. And who knows the same type of repair might be done a bit more
crudely under a junior microscope from the kids science kit or one of those
$100 video microscopes hooked up to the PC. Right now I don't have either
type of microscope in my own laboratory so will have to wait to get one.

Ben Wiens...applied energy scientist
Ben Wiens Energy Science Inc.
8-1200 Brunette Ave. Coquitlam BC Canada V3K1G3
E-mail: ben@benwiens.com
Energy Website: http://www.benwiens.com
Read my popular web-booklet "The Future of Fuel Cells"