Re: [BKARTS] Looking for a "low-brow" archival tape?

Much depends on the type of tear, the kind and condition of the text paper
and the expertise of the person doing the repair. The expense involved has
less to do with the cost of materials than with the time it takes to do a
tedious, time-consuming job.

I just turned down a commission to repair a book on coated paper that had
been water damaged years ago and not taken care of at the time. The tops of
half the pages had stuck together and had  been torn off as the book was
opened later. The spine was detached, linings and mull rotting. The paper
was so soft I knew I could not use paste. The client had bought a good copy
of the rare book (at a high price) on the internet and the seller had
thrown in the damaged copy at no cost. His idea was that I could replace
the damaged pages by xeroxing the corresponding pages from the good copy. I
told him I would have to charge far more than the book was worth and risk
ruining the good copy in the process.

As some have said, lens tissue or thin Japanese tissue, correctly applied
to a curved or feathered tear, will be almost invisible. _Library Materials
Preservation Manual_ by Hedi Kyle, et al, has excellent instructions for
repairing paper tears, along with practical methods for preserving books,
pamphlets and other printed materials. (ISBN:0-935164-10-3) It may be hard
to find; bookfinder.com lists only one used copy at $33.00.

Many of the tears I find, especially in children's books - but not always -
are in the lower left edge of the page, a short distance from the spine. I
think this could be caused by the child (or adult) turning the page from
the bottom left instead of the upper right corner. If that is the case with
your children, now is the time to try to change the habit. Repairing a book
full of these tears is a tedious job, and the buildup of repair tissue, no
matter how thin, can increase the thickness of the textblock at that point
enough to be noticeable.

Betty

At 12:22 AM 9/30/02 -0600, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>Been a lurker for many years and love reading everyone's contributions.
>Now I have a question that might be a bit silly, but you folks are the
>experts on book preservation and repair...
>
>I have a four-year-old and a two-year-old (and a five month old, but she
>is not currently the problem). In regards to books, our policy is to
>encourage as much interaction with books as possible, so really valuable
>books go in the office, valuable books go on high shelves, and most all
>other reading material is readily accessible knowing full well the
>risks. We'd rather teach them to grab a book any time but treat them
>with respect, and take a few hits to the Dr. Seuss collection along the
>way. And there is something truly joyful and hopeful in catching a
>two-year-old running his fingers along a page, pretending to read John
>Keats of all things, albeit holding the collected works upside down!

Betty Storz
PO Box 542
Mendocino, CA  95460
e-mail storz@mcn.org