Re: [BKARTS] making fabric bookcloth

Kathy:

#1 - Right! I use PVA after I have the 'sandwich' ironed well. And #2 - Any
thin/strong Japanese paper will do. You might want to use Kaji, Gasenshi
Echizen, Sekishu or Unryu. Actually there's a great European paper called
Tableau that I use also. It's $reasonable and quite strong. (It marbles
beautifully too). It's carried by my favorite supplier DOLPHIN PAPERS in
Indianapolis, http://www.dolphinpapers.com
mailto:dolphinartsupply@xxxxxxx  They also carry the Japanese papers.

 Patrice

>Two questions: 1. Once you have ironed the Stitch
>Witchery between cloth and thin Japanese paper, do you
>then use the finished product like bookcloth, gluing
>it on a board, etc.  2. Is there a name for the thin
>Japanese paper?  I mean, what do I ask for or look for
>when ordering online?  Do you know a good online
>source?
>
>(Oops!  I can't count!)
>
>Kathleen Wolford, Mineral Springs, PA,
>kathleenwolford@xxxxxxxxx
>
>--- Pat Baldwin <patbooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I make all my book cloth with any fabric that suits
>> me by just the same
>> method. However, the sewing product called "Stitch
>> Witchery" has a better
>> 'hold' than Wonder Under. I sandwich it between the
>> cloth and a thin piece
>> of Japanese paper. The secret is to iron it on
>> thoroughly - slowly over and
>> over on medium heat. I've done this with marbled
>> silk too, and it works
>> beautifully.
>>
>> Patrice Baldwin
>>

>> ...>I took a bookarts class at the Women's Studio
>> Workshop in Rosendale NY
>> this
>> >past summer and we learned how to make bookcloth
>> out of anything by using a
>> >fusible bonding called Wonder Under ...
>> "I hear and I forget.
>> I see and I remember.