[BKARTS] Johanna Drucker at the Wimberly Library

The University of Virginia's Johanna Drucker will be at Florida Atlantic
University on Saturday, February 1, 2003, for a two-part Wimberly Library
Book Arts Forum Event. We'll begin in the morning with "How to Read an
Artists' Book." When artists make books the results are often intriguing,
but they can also be baffling. Is a book without words still a book? How
about one that doesn't open? Or a box filled with miscellaneous items?
Strange materials, esoteric content and curious themes are all features of
artists' books. In this session, we'll explore ways to appreciate some of
these unusual and rewarding works.

After lunch, Johanna's program will continue with "The Artist, the Book and
the Collector," where we'll look at concrete ways to connect people with
artists' books through specific program activities. How is a collection
developed and maintained? What are the conservation issues and exhibition
concerns? What are the cataloguing challenges? How can these works be used
for the study of design and the book arts? We'll look at the ways that
artists' books offer exciting possibilities for classroom learning, as well
as for literacy, creative writing, arts projects, and personal diary and
journal work.

Johanna Drucker has written and lectured extensively on the topics of
typography, contemporary art, and artists' books. She is the author of "The
Visible Word: Experimental Typography and Modern Art" and "The Century of
Artists' Books." Before joining the faculty at the University of Virginia,
she had taught at Yale University and at Columbia University. She is also
an accomplished typographer and printer, and has been producing artists'
books since 1972.

The program begins at 10:30 in the morning and runs to 3:30 in the
afternoon. We anticipate a lively discussion, with plenty of hands-on
examples from the Jaffe Book Arts Collection. Registration fees are $7 for
the general public, $5 for non-FAU students. There is no fee for FAU
students. Space is limited, and advanced registration is required. Contact
me for more details, or to request a registration form.

John Cutrone
The Arthur and Mata Jaffe Collection
Boca Raton, Florida