Re: [BKARTS] The University of Virginia's Johanna Drucker will be at Florida Atlantic University

John Cutrone wrote

"The University of Virginia's Johanna Drucker will be
at Florida Atlantic University on Saturday, February
1, 2003, for a two-part Wimberly Library Book Arts
Forum Event. We'll begin in the morning with "How to
Read an Artists' Book." When artists make books the
results are often intriguing, but they can also be
baffling. Is a book without words still a book? How
about one that doesn't open? Or a box filled with
miscellaneous items? Strange materials, esoteric
content and curious themes are all features of
artists' books. In this session, we'll explore ways to
appreciate some of these unusual and rewarding works.
After lunch, Johanna's program will continue with "The
Artist, the Book and the Collector," where we'll look
at concrete ways to connect people with artists' books
through specific program activities. How is a
collection developed and maintained? What are the
conservation issues and exhibition concerns? What are
the cataloguing challenges? How can these works be
used for the study of design and the book arts? We'll
look at the ways that artists' books offer exciting
possibilities for classroom learning, as well as for
literacy, creative writing, arts projects, and
personal diary and journal work. Johanna Drucker has
written and lectured extensively on the topics of
typography, contemporary art, and artists' books. She
is the author of "The Visible Word: Experimental
Typography and Modern Art" and "The Century of
Artists' Books." Before joining the faculty at the
University of Virginia, she had taught at Yale
University and at Columbia University. She is also an
accomplished typographer and printer, and has been
producing artists' books since 1972. The program
begins at 10:30 in the morning and runs to 3:30 in the
afternoon. We anticipate a lively discussion, with
plenty of hands-on examples from the Jaffe Book Arts
Collection. Registration fees are $7 for the general
public, $5 for non-FAU students. There is no fee for
FAU students. Space is limited, and advanced
registration is required. Contact me for more details,
or to request a registration form. John Cutrone The
Arthur and Mata Jaffe Collection Florida Atlantic
University Wimberly Library Boca Raton, Florida"

Dear John
Regrettably, we cannot participate in this event
You can to send me the text of that said in the event
written in English ? (the written text I can translate
it, if it is a recording I don't understand neither
half).
It is very important for my to have the answer to
these questions:
"How to Read an Artists' Book."
Is a book without words still a book?
How about one that doesn't open?
Or a box filled with miscellaneous items?
"The Artist, the Book and the Collector? (Problems
only?...)
How to connect people with artists' books through
specific program activities...
How is a collection developed and maintained?
What are the conservation issues and exhibition
concerns?
What are the cataloguing challenges?
How can these works be used for the study of design
and the book arts? We'll  Offer  the artist?s books
exciting possibilities for classroom learning, as well
as for literacy, creative writing, arts projects, and
personal diary and journal work?
I request you a copy of the text of that spoken in the
event to present it  in my radio program: "Radio
Gutenberg", whose motto is "to read with the
hearings".

The objectives of ?Radio Gutenberg? are:
-To promote to the Book and the reading like
fundamental
instruments of the culture and the education.
(When I say "Book" I say: history of the book,
publishing history, the sociology of the texts,
content analysis,
art book, technical of impression, printed culture,
conservation
of the book, survival of the book, mutation of the
book,
?what they read those that don't read?, journalism,
mass readership and the media,
 literary sociology, literary production,  etc, etc.)
- To develop the habit reader essential activity of
the citizen of the XXI century
- To promote the encounter of the Local Village and
the Global Village through the comparative literature
in English and Spanish
-To promote the techniques of oral narration as
instrument of integration of the third age with the
childhood and the adolescence  (promotion of the
reading through the integration of the generations)
- To promote the analysis of content of texts that
integrate prose, poetry, fiction and history
- To make of each listener a reader. To make of each
reader a beginner writer. To make of each beginner
writer a great reader.
- To make a literary critic that really shows the
aspects that can make interesting the reading of a
book. (The secret book inside each book) .To avoid the
unbearable error of making of the book, of the writer
and of the publisher simple pretexts for the literary
critic's splendor transformed into certain Guru by the
traditional cultural supplements.

My program can be listened in a geographical area in
which live 6.000.000 of people approximately and in
which 7 important universities (La Plata, Buenos
Aires, Lomas de Zamora, Quilmes, La Matanza , Lanús y
Presidente Perón) teach anthropology, literature,
history, oral narration, art, theater and philosophy,
journalism, etc.
A region in which exist around 20  institutes in which
the future secondary education professors of
Literature, History and Philosophy are qualified.
A geographical area in which live more of 500 writers
that have a published book, as minimum.
It is considerable the number of people that  read and
write and  speak English as second language.
?Radio Gutenberg? has the auspice of the Chamber
Argentina of the Book, the Society Argentina of
Writers and the Secretary of Culture of the Nation
?Radio Gutenberg?  has won the Prize Hawk of Silver to
the best cultural program 1999-2000 among 1700
programs of 106 radio stations of the whole country
Every year we give the Prizes Gutenberg to the
Literary Production of the region (300 writers
gathered in a great asado ,
party in the one that meats are served made to the
slow fire on grill)

Presentation of a book in ?Radio Gutenberg?
Alicia and I read the book of cover to cover and we
translate to Spanish the texts that we will read in
the program
We dedicate a special program of 2 hours to each book
The text of the only publicity that we make in that
special program is this:
"We are presenting the book ... edited
by...publisher.... street...city...country....
www.friend.where-it-is ... The First Sentence of this
book is:..?
This announcement is read 12 times in the two hours
(RG is a non-profit radio program. The costs are paid
by my wife and for my).
The incidental music that we use in each presentation
was recorded especially for our program by the
wonderful artist Cynthia Cathcart with her Celtic
harp.
Make the reading of the selected texts: Alicia Silva y
Guillermo Compte (producers and drivers of ?Radio
Gutenberg?). Sometimes, we have the special
collaboration  of Elsa Souza, Horacio Bermúdez and
David Cureses (actors of the Municipal Comedy of Alte
Brown, directed by the Professor Cureses)
Of each book we read in Spanish:
The data of the editorial , the dedication, the
General Editor's Preface, Acknowledgements, Mentions,
Contents, Plates, Figures, Maps, Tables, Abbreviations
and Introduction. If there is some Chronology we also
read it and we comment it. (We show our listeners the
kitchen of the book).
We remind to our listeners that the First Sentence, is
the first step of the book, the key that conquers the
challenge of the page in white, the terror of the
writers. The reader has to see in that first sentence
the writer's victory on his doubts. We have a section
that we call
?the Indexnautas?, the readers that travel for the
Index of matters, names or places looking for the
hidden cultemas in the pages of the book. ("Cultema"
it is a word that I use to designate to the culture
gene, to the minimum unit of imitation, to the minimum
unit of cultural transmission)
Up to now we have presented in our program the
following books:
1) The defense of Wessex. The Burghal Hidage and
Anglo-Saxon fortifications, edited by David Hill and
Alexander R. Rumble. Manchester University Press.
2) A Guide to Late Anglo-Saxon England. From Aelfred
to Eadgar II. Donald Henson. Anglo-Saxon Books .
3) Sixty Saxon Saints. Alan Smith. Anglo-Saxon Books .

4) Bernard of Clairvaux. G.R. Evans. Oxford University
Press.
5) Reassessing Anglo-Saxon England. Eric John.
Manchester University Press .
6) The Normans in Europe. Elisabeth van
Houts.Manchester University Press .
7) Viking Age Iceland. Jesse Byock. Penguin Books .
8) Women in Old Norse Society. Jenny Jochens. Cornell
University Press.
9) The Music of the Troubadours. Elizabeth Aubrey.
Indiana University Press.
10) Morkinskinna. The Earliest Icelandic Chronicle of
the Norwegian Kings (1030-1157) . Theodore M.
Andersson and Kari Ellen Gade. Cornell University
Press.
11) A History of the Ostrogoths. Thomas Burns. Indiana
University Press.
12) Land, Law, and Lordship en Anglo-Norman England.
John Hudson. Oxford Historical Monographs. Clarendon
Press. Oxford.
13) The Structure of Old Norse Dróttkvaett Poetry.
Kari Ellen Gade. Cornell University Press.
 14) The Oxford Illustrated History of the Vikings.
Peter Sawyer. Oxford University Press.
15) International Medieval Research, 4. The Community,
the Family and the Saint. Patterns of Power in Early
Medieval Europe. Joyce Hill and Mary Swan. Turnhout,
Brepols
16) The New History of England. England Under The
Norman and Angevin Kings 1075-1225. Robert Bartlett.
Clarendon Press. Oxford.
17) The Viking Discovery of America. The Excavation of
a Norse Settlement in L?Anse aux Meadows,
Newfoundland. Helge Ingstad & Anne Stine Insgtad.
Breakwater
18) Studies in Ragnars Saga Lodbrókar and its Major
Scandinavian Analogues. Rory McTurk. Medium Aevum
Monographs. New Series XV. The Society for the Study
of Mediaeval Languages and Literature, Oxford, 1991
19) Brittish History 1660-1832. National Identity and
Local Culture. Alexander Murdoch. Macmillan Press Ltd.
20) State and Society in Early Modern Scotland. Julian
Goodare. Oxford University Press.
21) Scottish Society 1707-1830. Beyond Jacobitism,
towards industrialisation. Christopher A. Whatley.
Manchester University Press.
22) A History of the Modern British Isles 1603- 1707.
The Double Crown. David L. Smith. Blackwell
Publishers.
23) The Norman Kingdom of Sicily. Donald Matthew.
Cambridge Medieval Textbooks.
24) The Albigensian Crusade. Jonathan Sumption. Faber
and Faber.
25) The Territorial Factor. Political Geography in a
Globalising World. Gertjan Dijkink & Hans Knippenberg
(eds.). Vossiuspers Uva.
26) The Theatrical City. Culture, Theatre and Politics
in London 1576-1649. Edited by David L. Smith, Richard
Strier and David Bevington. Cambridge University
Press.
27) Historians and Social Values. Joep Leerssen ? Ann
Rigney (eds). Amsterdan University Press.
28) Intercultural arts education and municipal policy.
New connections in European cities. Edited by Ría
Lavrijsen. Royal Tropical Institute The Netherlands.
29) Folklore of the Santal Parganas. Cecil Henry
Bompas. Gyan Publishing House.
30) The Deculturalisation of the English People. John
Lovejoy. Athelney.
31) Rise of Terrorism and Secessionism in Eurasia.
Edited by V.D.Chopra. Gyan Publishing House.
32) Perception & Identity in Intercultural
Communication. Marshall R. Singer. Intercultural
Press. Inc.
33) The Mirror and the Killer Queen. Otherness in
Literary Language. Gabriele Schwab. Indiana University
Press.
34) The Collaborator. The Trial and Execution of
Robert  Brasillach. Alice Kaplan. The University of
Chicago Press.
35) Queen Victoria. A Personal History. Christopher
Hibbert. Basic Books.
36) Fables of Responsability. Aberrations and
Predicaments in Ethics and  Politics. Thomas Keenan.
Stanford University Press.
37) Education for the Intercultural Experience. Edited
by R. Michael Paige. Intercultural Press, Inc.
38) Multicultural Education. A Cross Cultural Training
Approach. Margaret D. Pusch. Intercultural Press, Inc.
39) Local Histories/Global Designs. Coloniality,
Subaltern Knowledges, and Border Thinking. Walter D.
Mignolo. Princeton University Press.
40) Wittgenstein?s Ladder. Poetic Language and the
Strangeness of the Ordinary. Marjorie Perloff. The
University of Chicago Press.
41) Decomposition. Post ? Disciplinary Perfomance.
Edited by Sue-Ellen Case, Philip Brett and Susan Leigh
Foster. Indiana University Press.
42) Scottish Battles. From Mons Graupius to Culloden.
John Sadler. Canongate.
43) Poetry On & Off the Page. Essays for Emergent
Occasions. Marjorie Perloff. Northwestern University
Press.
44) The Universal History of Numbers. Georges Ifrah.
Harvill.
45) Historical Britain. Eric S. Wood. Harvill...
and many other books of fiction and poetry.

 I  give an example on the presentation of each book
in the program:
Book ?Morkinskinna?, Alicia and Guillermo read the
whole book. They made the traducciòn to Spanish of
"Contents", "Foreword", "Preface", "Abbreviations" and
"Introduction." One of the cultemas rescued in the
Index was "Haraldr hardrádi (Hardrule) Sigurdarson."
The text of Morkinskinna 50 "The Treachery against
King Haraldr", págs 267-274 was chosen and Alicia and
Guillermo translated it to Spanish. The text
integrates prose and poetry and dialogues and relates
the besiege of York, the battle of Stamford Bridge and
the death of Haraldr and Tostig. Horacio read the
prose. Alicia and Elsa the poetries. David was
?Haraldr?. Guillermo was ?Tostig?. Lucas was ? the
Horseman? . Sergio was ?Styrkárr? and Mauricio ?the
Fellow with to wagon?. A true play of 45 minutes!

You should send the  event?s text to

Guillermo Compte Cathcart
Garay 254
(1854) Longchamps