Re: [BKARTS] Endpaper Goof

Kathy,

One way to do the style of binding you described is to use your text paper
to make the outer pages of your first and last signatures, which will leave
you with one text page on each side to use as a hinge as you described. In
other words, your endsheet signatures would each have two pieces of paper,
plain paper on the outside, and handmade paper on the inside.

Instead of cutting the outer sheet down to the super, you can put glue only
on the spine edge where the super is, and then adhere it to the board. When
it is dry, open the book, take the loose ( foredge) end of the plain paper
hinge, and tear it along the glue line. This will give you a softer edge,
and won't show as much when you glue the handmade sheet over it.

I hope this makes sense.

Beverly Schlee
Preservation Department
Arizona State University