Re: [BKARTS] Endpaper Goof

Kathy,

You are to be congratulated on your attempt to do a good bookbinding job. As
Beverly Schee said in her post, all is not lost. Her advice on what to do to
correct your error is good. I'd like to add to that.

There are many ways to make endpapers, the least satisfactory being a single
folded paper tipped in by pasting the flyleaf to the first (and last) text
pages, 1/8" along the fold. As  a book restorer, I can tell you that almost
all books that come to me with broken hinges have the first page of the text
block torn away with the flyleaf because of the "drag" on the sheet every
time the book is opened.

As the result of much experience, I never tip in endpapers in repairing
books or making new ones. First, I determine if the old book needs to be
resewn or just have the spine relined. Then, after I've done any spine
repair, I separate the text page from the flyleaf, resew the first
signature, or attach it to the signature with a guard made of Japanese
paper. Finally, I use another strip of Japanese paper as an inner hinge to
attach the first signature to the flyleaf. The book opens all the way to the
spine and there is no drag on opening the book.

In making new books, I always make endpapers as separate signatures attached
to the text block with inner hinges as described by Laura S. Young in her
"Bookbinding & Conservation by Hand."

Most books on traditional bookbinding will have information on endpapers. My
favorite is Laurence Town's "Bookbinding by hand." The chapter on endpapers
is quite complete and detailed.

Good luck! Keep experimenting and learning.

Betty