Re: [BKARTS] More Handwritten Bibles

on 1/11/03 11:29 PM, Gerald Lange at Bieler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Not to be a kill-joy. But "technically speaking" this is rubrication, not
> illumination. Rubrication is writing or printing in red.

This was also rubrication, but many modern calligraphers consider colored
lettering to be illumination as well. Here is the definition from Rose
Folsom's _Calligraphers' Dictionary_: "Illumination. A term derived from the
effect of shimmering light given by gold on MSS pages, it originally meant
only gilding. Today it means any kind of text embellishment, including
illustration, heraldry and *colored letters* as well as gilding." (My
emphasis.)

My post did contain a blunder, however. I wrote (second paragraph) "...and
other liturgical Latin works..." when I meant to write "...and other
ecclesiastical Latin works..." (meaning Church Latin in general).

If anyone knows about other handwritten Bibles made during the past three
centuries I'd love to hear about them. Copying out passages from the Bible
was a favorite activity during the 19th century and it's plausible to assume
that some completely handwritten Bibles were made during that century (but
where are they now?).

The promotional literature for Donald Jackson's project claims that his
Bible will be "the first handwritten Bible in the modern era" (during the
past 500 years), but certainly there have been many other handwritten Bibles
produced during this time.

Ross Green