Frederic W. Goudy Lecture
with Gary Frost
Future of the Book vs. Book of the Future
Saturday, April 12, 2003
7:30 p.m.
Humanities Auditorium
Scripps College
Claremont, California

One approach to the future of the book is to look at the ways we use
and read it and then project these behaviors forward.
This illustrated talk will consider reading modes of the book
and haptics or ergonomics of book use.
Then from these observations we will project a future of the book

Gary Frost is an educator in book art and book conservation.
He has taught  at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago,
Columbia University in New York and the University of Texas at Austin.
He is currently the Conservator for the Libraries at the University of Iowa.

Please join us for dinner with Gary Frost and Shanna Leino on
Saturday, April 12, at 5:45 p.m. Cost: $20. Reservations required.

The Goudy Lecture is free and open to the public.

5-Day Frederic W. Goudy Workshop
with Shanna Leino
Leather-covered Coptic Binding in
Five Frisky Fun-filled Days
Wednesday, April 9 to Sunday, April 13, 2003
9:00 to 5:00 daily
Scripps College Press
Sheets 100
Claremont, California

Focusing on book production practiced in Egypt during the seventh to
eleventh century, we will each build a book with laminated papyrus boards,
covered in goatskin leather. We will  blind tool, punch, pierce, lace and
stitch the leather BEFORE covering and fashion a peg and strap closure from
bone, metal, and woven leather. The range of texture, weight, and scent of
the materials we will be using, handwork techniques and the feel of the
completed book are what make this structure particularly pleasing, exquisite
and thrilling.

Shanna Leino is a studio artist living in Harrisville, New Hampshire.
She studied bookbinding with Gary Frost in Iowa City and completed three
models,
a late Coptic, Armenian and Greek, for the University of Iowa's Binding
Models Collection. Currrently she divides her time in the studio between
one-of-a-kind artists' books, tradional book structures and working with
steel and brass to make hand tools for bookbinding. Over the past year Shanna
has taught at the Paper and Book Intensive in Maine, Timeless Tech in Santa,
Idaho and for the
New York Chaper of the Guild of Book Workers.

Cost: $325 plus $50 for materials. Deadline for reservations is March 15.

For further information, contact Prof. Kitty Maryatt, Director of the Scripps
College Press, at 909 607-3866 or KMaryatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx