Re: [BKARTS] starch size

Bill, et. al.,
I can't imagine what a starch would be like combined
with silicone; perhaps you've been told it was silica,
which is sometimes added to substances to make them flow
better (salt comes to mind.)

Any precipitated starch should work.  Look for some Chinese
wheat starch in a grocery store and give that a try.

If you have the time, make your own.

Soak some wheat flour in an excess of water.  When it begins
to smell/rot, pour the water off and add some fresh water.

After a few weeks the water will stop rotting.  What is left
in the bottom of the container is (mostly) starch.

Cook it up and use it as an adhesive, or for edge coloring
and gilding.

Jack

>On the topic of starches:
>    Lately I have been unable to find an English
>brand called Robin Starch, which makes a very good
>size for edge coloring and gilding. Does anyone out there
>know how I can obtain it or an equivalent? I've had trouble
>with other brands (possibly, it has been suggested to me,
>because they contain silicone).
>   Any leads will be muchly appreciated!
>Bill
>

>Bill Cotter